Thursday, April 25, 2024

Grouse and Seal Blend Flymph

 There will be times on this blog where I may copy an old post from the Flymph Forum and post it here on the The Fabulous Flymph blog. There is a ton of information on the Flymph Forum, but as time goes by many posts get buried and hard to find. So I think highlighting them here from time to time may breath new life into them.

This was an old post by William David Anderson, where he posted this beautiful flymph. This is what he wrote in the post that describes his creation.

"This is a bit of seal blend, some hare's mask, and a bit of red fox, all pre-spun on white silk on a Clark's block. I pulled this from the wallet as well to get a pic before it goes in the vest box. Something I've been doing in the past year is taking the pre-spun body and wrapping it slightly open, not quite touching turns. As I'm looking through my wallet and some of my boxes it looks like I'm doing this about half the time. The underbody will certainly show through the white silk, even well waxed and the darker underbody gives it some depth. It's not exactly an imitation I'm after, but a technique.

"A side note on using the white silk on the Clark's block. When this is wet you can see not just the fibers protruding out of the body, but the fibers that are trapped in the body and those pinned on the underside of the body more so than with any other silk I've used. Just something to keep in mind. Sometimes its a new discovery as the time when I make a dubbing blend till I sit and spin bodies can be a while. (I mark the percentages and ingredients on each plastic bag). And then as I leaf through cards of bodies to tie up a set of flies, there's quite a time delay from dubbing blend to flies in the box. Now a year later taking a pic and discovering what's actually there, it might as well have been tied by someone else."



 

No comments:

Post a Comment