Sunday, June 2, 2024

Original 12 Favorites tied by James Leisenring

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the 12 Favorites of James Leisenring is often discussed in flymph and wet fly circles. Lance Hidy, son of Pete Hidy, sent me the below image of Leisenring's 12 favorites. But what is really special is that Leisenring tied these himself. At one time, they were loaned to Lance and he created this image. 

Here is the brief story from Lance.

"This is the 1941 set that Leisenring gave to Charley Rethoret, owner of Hotel Rapids on Brodhead’s Creek, Analomink, Pennsylvania, where Leisenring and Hidy first met in 1935. I photographed the set when its owner, the late Bernie Pociask, loaned it to me. After his death, the collection was sold, and its current location is unknown to me."

You will notice that Lance drew circles around five of the flies. Interestingly these five are the only ones that qualify as flymphs. When emailing me, Lance alluded to the fact that the Tups was a little bit of a stretch since the abdomen is thread and only the thorax has fur. I thought this would be a good time to share a jpeg image that Lance created of the Leisenring Tups. This shows a super close up of the Tups with each detail of the fly pointed out by Lance.


Even today fly tyers still have trouble sometimes deciding if a fly they tied is a flymph or not. I encourage you to read the post I made about it here: https://thefabulousflymph.blogspot.com/2024/05/what-is-flymph.html. It should help clarify details that classify a flymph.


No comments:

Post a Comment